Monday, January 6, 2014

It's C-c-c-c-cold outside!

I'm f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-freeezing!  Can you say -11?  or better yet -40 with windchill?  Thank goodness I've received so many beautiful scarves to bundle myself!  and toe-warmers are the best thing ever.
 
Good Morning family! 
 
Happy New Year!  Can you believe that it is 2014?  Pretty weird!  Good to be in an even year though, 2013 was so odd... (no pun intended).
 
So I'm sure you have all in some way taken a moment to reflect on the past year and I have to tell you the Lord's plan is remarkable.  Last year about this time I considered where I would be right now.  I knew I might not be in Utah, and it was scary to think about where I would be.  What I have learned since then is that the Lord puts us in the most remarkable places when we trust in him.  I know that I am exactly where the Lord needs me to be right now.  I have seen so many miracles that truly have confirmed that this is where the Lord needs me.  I am seeing myself change in ways I never even realized I needed to change.  I am most grateful however for the change that I have seen in coming closer to the Savior.   I have felt the power of putting trust in him.  I don't think I ever could have learned that untill I left behind things that made me comfortable, the things that I didn't want to let go of, the things that made it hard to leave.  That includes all of you!  You were probably one of the hardest families to let go of mostly because you're all so fantastic.  But I'm grateful that the Lord blesses us for our sacrifices.  I know that my time here in Nebraska is precious and I know that the relationships I have with each one of you has truly helped me to come to know and relate with my Savior.    But I would also encourage each of you to look for ways to go out of your comfort zone, because it is when we are away from what we think is comfortable that the Lord can step in and teach us.  "Wo unto those that are at ease in Zion"  2 Nephi 28:24  I pray we might always be in places that the Lord can teach us and help us to become who he sees us becoming. 
 
So a few stories to go along with this thought.  This week we went on an exchange with the Yankee Hill sisters in Lincoln.  This was our last of 8 exchanges and man we didn't want to go.  These sisters have been doing well and it was so tempting for Sister Youngberg and myself to just stay home, tell them we were sick and spend a day recouperating.  But we went anyway, because it is what we were asked to do, we knew it was where we needed to be.   Wow.  Such a powerful exchange.   While looking for a less-active member we found an incredible couple  who had all kinds of questions about the gospel.  We thought they were members and when we walked in were surprised when they asked what church we were from.  What a powerful gospel discussion!  For some reason Heavenly Father wanted me to see this couple with sister Weber.  We testified powerfully.  I have never felt so confident in testifying of Jesus Christ as I did in that lesson.  I know it was a miracle that we taught them, and I am humbled to think that it may have been for the strengthening of my own testimony that the Lord placed us there.
 
I have one more story but this one is more of just a memory I wish you could all picture.   So New Years day was a remarkably snowy/icy day here in Nebraska.  So obviously a fitting day to drive to Iowa for district meeting.  On the drive the driver (who would choose to remain nameless) hit a patch of ice... and as you can well imagine slipped all over the place back and forth while her companion prayed silently that they would survive.  This odd little companionship looked at one another as somewhere after their slipping on ice found themselves in a cornfield on the side of the road.  One couldn't help but laugh at the situation.  Which is what they did.  The dificulty now came as the car couldn't make it up the hill and back onto the highway, so what did this companionship do?  Adapt and overcome of course!  They drove down the cornfield parallel to the highway, avoiding the awkward glances of their fellow drivers.  They prayed that they could get back on the road, when it no sooner apeared that their was a farm with a driveway perpendicular to the road, and a perfect place to get back on the straight and narrow.  So aside from being thrilled to actually drive in a cornfield in Nebraska I also learned a valuable lesson from this, which of course applies to the above thoughts.  (haha  haha)  The Lord puts obsticles in our paths, and we often don't understand but no matter what, he doesn't forget about us.  He knows our thoughts and our struggles.  I know that he always provides a way for us to return to the path.  He always provides.  So next time you are in a cornfield, or whatever the challenge is.  Laugh!  Recognized the discomfort you are being placed in is allowing you to grow!  It is allowing you to appreciate the days that you stay on the road, it is allowing you to become a better driver. 
 
I hope you all know how much I love you!  Sorry to be long-winded today, it happens!  I hope you all have a fantastic week, know that we are all in the Lord's hands and can truly change the world by standing tall in the place he has planted us in today.  Good Luck with new semesters and new life adventures!  Choose the Right every day :)
 
Love always,
 
Sister McMaster 
 
the nativity: brought to you by Mary(McMaster) Joseph( Youngberg) and Baby Jesus(Girlfriend)

No comments:

Post a Comment